A nuptial agreement is a contract entered into between two people either about to enter into marriage, or are already married, which includes provisions for property division and financial support in the event of a divorce or dissolution. A prenuptial agreement is a contract entered into prior to marriage and a postnuptial agreement is a contract entered into after marriage.
A sensible nuptial agreement can safeguard premarital property and assets while detailing how a couple’s financial issues should be resolved at the end of a marriage in a conflict-free environment. The legal team at Dietz & Overmann, PLLC, has worked with couples at many stages of their respective relationships to create nuptial agreements.
When Is A Nuptial Agreement A Good Idea?
In particular, a nuptial agreement is important for people who have accumulated sizeable assets prior to the marriage — especially when there is a significant disparity in the assets of the two people getting married. Many people entering into second marriages opt to sign nuptial agreements to ensure that their premarital property will go to their children from a previous marriage instead of to the new spouse, should the marriage end in divorce.
Among other benefits, nuptial agreements can:
- Protect premarital assets
- Protect the inheritance rights of children from a previous marriage
- Protect the financial interests of a pre-existing family business
- Outline terms for spousal support or waive it altogether
- Determine the distribution of assets acquired during the marriage
- Outline each of your personal rights and obligations toward the other
- Set forth the obligations that either of you may have in future debts
- Protect and maintain any interest in non-marital assets
Working with an experienced northern Kentucky family law attorney is a crucial step in developing a nuptial agreement. Contact us to schedule a consultation regarding your nuptial agreement. Reach us today at our Edgewood offices by calling 859-757-2978. You can also email us your contact information via our secure form to start the process.