Dietz & Overmann, PLLC

Contact Our Edgewood Office


contact Menu

Quality Family Law Representation “Because It Matters”

How parents can resolve child support problems

Parents in Kentucky and throughout the nation may have difficulty paying child support in a timely manner. In many cases, they are called deadbeats even when they aren't trying to withhold support out of spite or a lack of concern for their children. Those who don't have the income to make a support payment should file a motion to modify the order in the state where it was created.

If a parent can show that his or her financial circumstances have changed, it may trigger an adjustment to the current support order. This is because the original order was created based on the parent's income at the time it was made. A parent doesn't have to lose a job to have a valid change in circumstances; courts may agree to modify a support order if a mother or father incurs a medical debt or sees a decrease in income not related to a job loss.

Parents should know that only a formal modification will be recognized by the courts. If a custodial parent agrees to take less for a period of time, a judge could still order the noncustodial parent to pay any balance legally in arrears. Those who owe child support are encouraged to seek a modification in lieu of not making payments at all.

The best interests of the child are generally a court's top priority when issuing a child support or custody order. Therefore, a parent should make an effort to comply with an existing order or otherwise provide as much support as possible. An attorney may help an individual petition for a modification to an existing support order. This may make it easier to make future payments in full and on time to avoid financial or other penalties.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Find Out How We Can Address Your Legal Needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Dietz & Overmann, PLLC
130 Dudley Road Suite 150
Edgewood, KY 41017

Toll Free: 866-342-1559
Phone: 859-757-2978
Fax: 859-341-5111
Edgewood Law Office Map

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Discover