Dietz Family Law PLLC - Divorce


Contact Our Edgewood Office

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Quality Family Law Representation


Quality Family Law Representation

The four different types of child support arrangements explained

On Behalf of | Aug 13, 2018 | Child Support |

Many people assume that child support is something one former spouse simply pays to the ex who happens to have custody. While this is one common way this type of financial assistance may work in Kentucky, there are other child support arrangements that can also be set up. Support cases are broken down as IV-A, IV-D, and IV-E cases and non-IV-D cases. The “IV” refers to a provision of the Social Security Act that provides grants to states to cover financial needs for families with children.

A non-IV-D case is one where child support is established privately between involved parties. This is often the case following a divorce where one spouse will be supporting the child or children. With IV-D cases, a custodial parent needs some assistance from the Office of Child Support Enforcement. This may involve establishing and enforcing support orders or locating the parent without custody to obtain payments.

Custodial parents receive state support with IV-A cases. Such cases are automatically referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement in an attempt to collect payments from the parent without custody. In some situations, children are being cared for by a foster care system or relatives. These IV-E cases are also automatically referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement so efforts can be made to collect payments or recover costs from the custodial parent(s).

Child support arrangements aren’t set in stone. Over time, custodial or non-custodial parents can remarry, have a change in employment status or develop different financial needs. However, a family law attorney can help a client take the appropriate legal steps to make necessary adjustments for situations like this. With cases involving a failure to pay child support, an attorney may contact the non-custodial parent who either stopped paying or is no longer paying the full amount of disbursements. In some situations, additional legal action may be necessary to compel the non-paying party to pay.

Share This