Dietz & Overmann, PLLC

Contact Our Edgewood Office


contact Menu

Quality Family Law Representation “Because It Matters”

The four different types of child support arrangements explained

Many people assume that child support is something one former spouse simply pays to the ex who happens to have custody. While this is one common way this type of financial assistance may work in Kentucky, there are other child support arrangements that can also be set up. Support cases are broken down as IV-A, IV-D, and IV-E cases and non-IV-D cases. The "IV" refers to a provision of the Social Security Act that provides grants to states to cover financial needs for families with children.

A non-IV-D case is one where child support is established privately between involved parties. This is often the case following a divorce where one spouse will be supporting the child or children. With IV-D cases, a custodial parent needs some assistance from the Office of Child Support Enforcement. This may involve establishing and enforcing support orders or locating the parent without custody to obtain payments.

Custodial parents receive state support with IV-A cases. Such cases are automatically referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement in an attempt to collect payments from the parent without custody. In some situations, children are being cared for by a foster care system or relatives. These IV-E cases are also automatically referred to the Office of Child Support Enforcement so efforts can be made to collect payments or recover costs from the custodial parent(s).

Child support arrangements aren't set in stone. Over time, custodial or non-custodial parents can remarry, have a change in employment status or develop different financial needs. However, a family law attorney can help a client take the appropriate legal steps to make necessary adjustments for situations like this. With cases involving a failure to pay child support, an attorney may contact the non-custodial parent who either stopped paying or is no longer paying the full amount of disbursements. In some situations, additional legal action may be necessary to compel the non-paying party to pay.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Find Out How We Can Address Your Legal Needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Dietz & Overmann, PLLC
130 Dudley Road Suite 150
Edgewood, KY 41017

Toll Free: 866-342-1559
Phone: 859-757-2978
Fax: 859-341-5111
Edgewood Law Office Map

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Discover